Tempest has direct integrations with the most popular third party services, including Weather Underground, IFTTT services, Google Home, Amazon Alexa and Siri! SmartThings integration is planned for later 2021. See our Tempest Integrations for the latest details.
- Log in to your account on WeatherUnderground.com
- Go to My Profile > My Weather Stations > Click button ‘Add new PWS’
- Gather your new Weather Underground PWS ID and station key Sign in to your Tempest account on the web: https://tempestwx.com/ Then go to settings > stations > select your station > Public Data > Link Weather Underground > enter your WU PWS station ID and key > (optional) toggle rain > Link
It could take at least 30 minutes to an hour before WU starts publishing your station data on their websites and apps. This process could take longer depending on WU issues.
Smart Home Technology
The Tempest System is being built to work with most popular smart home tech platforms and some direct integrations are already available.
Tempest data can be accessed remotely as well as on your local network (even when the internet connection is down), which means your smart home system doesn't have to rely on your Internet connection. Tempest is supported by a growing list of third-party platforms that can take advantage of this feature.
Here are just some of the ways to use weather observation and forecast data from the Tempest System with your Smart Home:
- Adjust your irrigation schedule based on the rain that's fallen... or the rain that's forecast to fall
- Turn on attic exhaust fans if the temperature is high
- Turn on ceiling fans if the temperature is high
- Turn on whole house attic fan & turn off the AC if the outside temperature is cooler than inside
- Turn on outside accent lighting when light level falls below a set limit
- Turn on an engine block heater on work days when the outside temperature is close to freezing
- Adjust heating/cooling levels based on the temperature and humidity forecast
- Adjust indoor lighting levels based on outdoor sunlight levels
- Adjust awning and shade positions based on ambient light, solar radiation, wind, etc
In addition to direct integration with your smart home systems, there's also a growing list of devices and software that let you do all sorts of things with the data from your Tempest System.
Third Party Applications
You can learn more about available 3rd party applications on this forum wiki: https://community.weatherflow.com/t/smart-weather-station-third-party-applications
Note: the "Share Publicly" setting must be enabled for integration services to work. Open the app, go to Settings > Stations > choose your station > Public Data > make sure the "Share Publicly" setting is toggled on.
Integration with your smart home technology is simple but even more complex integrations are possible with our rich set of developer tools. The WeatherFlow Tempest System exposes a collection of self-service APIs and documentation that make it easy for developers to build apps and integrations that access data on behalf of a Tempest station owner. With both remote access (via REST & Web Socket) and local access (via Bluetooth Low Energy, UDP Broadcast).