Know when/where it’s windy? We do! WeatherFlow operates the largest private marine weather network in North America and provides weather observations and forecasts to everyone from kitesurfers to the Department of Defense. We are in need of talented and innovative people to help serve our diverse clients. WeatherFlow supports a growing family of products and a set of applications for Android, iPhone and Web. We are a small dedicated team looking for motivated people whose work will produce immediate impact on our business.
Contract Marine Forecaster
WeatherFlow is looking for a motivated individual who is able to work with limited supervision to join our team of contract marine forecast professionals.
- You will be responsible for forecasting wind and weather conditions for maritime areas across North America.
- Flexibility: You will join a small team of contract forecasters from around North America. Contract work may vary from week to week and is seasonal.
- Caffeine and a good alarm clock: Forecast deadlines will often require early morning reports.
- Reliability; deadlines must be met … folks need their forecasts!
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely to others
- Self-motivated, well-organized, and able to work well under minimal supervision
- Understanding of meteorology, especially of surface winds
- Four years of experience analyzing wind patterns -OR- a BS in meteorology
- Love of wind sports like sailing, windsurfing, or kiteboarding
- Experience with wind forecasting
- Familiarity with WeatherFlow brands
Contractor compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
This is seasonal contractor work. As such, it is considered a work-at-home workplace. It does not require regular traveling. To apply, please email your information to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Weather Data Engineer/Scientist
WeatherFlow is looking for an experienced weather data engineer to join our weather modeling team in Fort Collins, Colorado. The successful applicant will bring a variety of skills to our modeling team, having core skills in software engineering with strengths in meteorology, or vice versa. The primary role will be to engineer weather data solutions in support of our weather analysis and modeling systems.
WeatherFlow is a team of scientists, meteorologists, engineers and programmers. We maintain one of the largest high-quality private weather networks in the world and specialize in short-term, high-resolution weather forecast modeling and machine learning. We combine our data with curated third-party weather data to help government agencies, businesses, and consumers make key decisions. We make a family of Smart Weather Stations that are easy to install, understand and use, and automatically integrate with smart home platforms and commercial systems. Our overall goal is to provide actionable weather information to help our worldwide customers make better decisions around safety, save time and money, and increase business profitability.
- MS in Meteorology -or- BS in Computer Science with experience in the weather industry
- Strong skills in data i/o and processing
- Expertise operating in the Linux environment, including programming in Python and bash
- Experience with MySQL, PostgreSQL, or SQLite databases
- Ability to work with the team and individually
- Capable, resourceful learner
- Ingenuity with problem solving
- Strong communication skills
- Physical and practical understanding of observed and modeled meteorological data
- Familiarity with Amazon and other cloud HPC services
- Other scripting and programming languages
- Familiarity with statistics and graphics packages
- Experience with observational data quality control
- Experience with verification and validation
- Experience with web data and map services
- Web and/or API programming skills
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. WeatherFlow offers a full benefits package, including the opportunity to live in Fort Collins, Colorado!
This is a full-time position at our Fort Collins, Colorado, offices. To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Marty Bell, Director Research and Modeling, at email@example.com.